Categories

Site Information

 Loading... Please wait...

Fullerton Founders Day Parade September 26th 2015

Where is Fullerton, California located?

fullerton-map.png

Population 2014 According to United States Census Bureau 

139,677

 How Fullerton became a town... 

Europeans first pass throught the area in 1769. In 1771 the Mission San Gabriel Arcangel was established. And the local Tongva people were dubbed "Gabrieliños" by the Spanish. In 1837, the Fullerton area became part of Rancho San Juan Cajón de Santa Ana, granted to Juan Pacifico Ontiveros, a Spanish soldier.

After 1849 Gold Rush, Ontiverous sold parcels of Rancho to migrant Americans settling and Developing California. In 1860's Massachusetts native Abel Stearns sold to Domingo Bastanchury, a Basque shepherd.

maria-ontiveros-n-juan-pacifico.jpg

Maria Ontiveros and Juan Pacifico

In 1886 while in the area on a duck hunting vacation, Malden brothers George and Edward Amerige, heard rumors that the California Central Railroad, a subsidiary of the Santa Fe Railway, was looking for land. They began negotiations with George H. Fullerton, president of the Pacific Land and Improvement Company, also a Santa Fe subsidiary. 

Fullerton was founded in 1887 by brothers; George and Edward Amerige 

On July 5, 1887 Edward Amerige formally staked his claim at what is now the intersection of Harbor Boulevard and Commonwealth Avenue. Pacific Land and Improvement Company was offered free right-of-way and half interest in the land to the railroad. In exchange, Fullerton's survey were revised to include the proposed town site. The town Fullerton was born. 

george-amerige-founder.jpg                          edward-amerige-founder.jpg                            george-h-fullerton.jpg

George Amerige                                  Edward Amerige                                     George H Fullerton

Founder, Fullerton                                Founder, Fullerton                                   President, Railroad Pacific Land & Improvement Company

Talking about Fullerton history we cannot forget Charles Chapman, a retired Chicago publisher and a descendant of John "Johnny Appleseed" Chapman, purchased an orange orchard in eastern Fullerton. Fullerton boasted of more Orange groves than any other municipality in the United States.

Avacados and Walnuts florished as well. The Western RailRoad Town became an agriculture town. Fullerton was incorporated in 1904. 

Fulleton in it's earlier days was an agriculture center which grew Valencia Oranges and other Citrus crops. It was also known to petroleum extraction; transportation; and manufacturing. Even today Fullerton is known as a main hub for transportation and runs major railways to Los Angeles, San Diego and beyond. 

Fullerton today more accurately known as  a College Town and home to larger Educational Institutions such as California State University Fullerton. Fullerton College, and College of Optometry. 

Fullerton Founder's Day Parade 2015

The Founder's Day parade Grand Marshall position was held by Phyllis Fender the wife of Leo Fender the inventor of the Electric Guitar. There were many dignitaries, local businesses, schools; students and organizations proudly partiipated and showed their talents to the Fullerton residents who were gathered to watch the parade in side walks of Fullerton Down Town. 

OUR THANKS TO ORGANIZERS OF THIS FOUNDER'S PARADE; CITY OF FULLERTON AND FULLERTON CHAMBER OF COMMERCE. THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR HARD WORK. IT WAS A BEAUTIFUL EVENT. WE ARE PROUD TO BE FULLORTONIANS. LOOK FORWARD TO NEXT YEAR'S PARADE.

 

Credit to Fullerton Public Library, City of Fullerton and Original Authors. 

    There are no products in this category.